The mission of this Committee is to marshal cutting edge extra-contractual knowledge, expertise, and resources to offer a strong platform of related educational programs for CLM members and other litigation professionals. The Committee will take a lead role in developing a framework for implementation of educational and collaborative programs for resolution executives; managers; and front-line professionals for proactive management of extra-contractual issues in multiline insurance settings to enhance good faith and achieve optimal results in resolution outcomes.
The committee’s work is practical as well as theoretical and seeks to produce results, protocols, and recommendations based upon facts gathered from multiple and representative sources. We welcome participation by CLM Fellows and Members.
The Extra-Contractual committee is hosting the below webinar on October 5th at 12:00 pm ET:
|Common Pitfalls of Extra-Contractual Risk Exposure: Recent Trends in Claims and Solutions|
|The concept of “bad faith” continues to be a hot topic in the insurance industry and is one that starts with the carrier’s claims handling, from receipt of the claim, and continues well into the litigation through the claims resolution. In recent years, there have been changes across jurisdictions, expanding the scope of potential liability for bad faith damages and navigating the challenges caused by the continued erosion of the attorney-client privilege in bad faith litigation. The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted litigation in the form of delays as well as creating uncertainty when civil trials will commence with regularity. Savvy claimant attorneys are looking to build up the claim value by posturing the claim early on for potential exposures. This all starts with the adjuster’s handling of pre-suit demands. This CE will highlight some of the recent trends and provide practical solutions on how to avoid the common pitfalls from acknowledgement of the claim through resolution.
|Reserve your Webinar seat now at:
If you are interested in sharing your expertise at the 2021 CLM Focus Conference, December 2nd in New York, the proposal portal is now open!
You may submit a proposal on a topic of your choice, or choose from one of the suggested topics listed below:
- The Sudden Chill Created by Allegations in Big Onion Tavern v. Society Hill - Can an insurer advertise or market its way into bad faith?
- Mediation and settlement communications in extra-contractual litigation
- Tips on opening and closing Statements, preparing and examining witnesses, use of expert witnesses, and preserving affirmative defenses
- Claim handling best practices including investigation and documentation
- Extra-contractual liability involving declining limits policies, deductibles, and SRIs
- Extra-contractual liability between insurers
- Practical tips and negotiation strategies for the claims professional to avoid claims of bad faith and/or the bad faith set up
- The insurers reaction to the Covid - 19 insurance tenders
Additionally, if you have any questions regarding proposal submission, joining a panel, or need assistance, please reach out to the Extra-Contractual Committee liaison at Khadijah.Johnson@theclm.org
Possible Webinars: We are working to fill out these panels and confirm dates for the following:
- Extra-contractual obligations (ECO) in reinsurance contracts(Maria Quintero & Mike Handler) (September?)
- Common Pitfalls of Extra-Contractual Risk Exposure: recent trends in claims and (solutions) Heather Gutkes, Amerisure and Sanaz Alempour, Cole, Scott & Kissane) (July?)
- Marketing your way into an EC Claim (Dan O'Connor) (November or at conference)
Two other webinar topics which had been suggested were:
- Beyond Claims – When your Underwriting Department is the Focus of the EC Exposure (including but not limited to post-loss underwriting)
- Institutional Extracontractual Exposure (including company culture and training issues)
The NY Conference portal will open for submissions on May 10 and remain open for at least 6 weeks. Last year's topics were:
We will also have 1-2 panels for the case law updates. If you have any new case law (after 1/1/21) that you believe warrants inclusion, please send me the case for consideration. Also, if you are interested in participating on the case law update roundtable, please let me know. We usually have 4-5 people per roundtable, a balance of industry and attorneys, and it's fun to mix up the people involved!
Warm welcome to Khadijah!
Talk to you all in June, if not sooner. Thank you all for your continued support of the EC Committee!
|Extra-Contractual Committee - Conference Call Agenda October 14, 2020 10/14/2020|
|Extra-Contractual Committee - Conference Call Agenda June 3, 2020 6/3/2020|
|Extra-Contractual Committee - Conference Call Agenda Jan 15, 2020 1/15/2020|
|Extra-Contractual Committee - Conference Call Agenda November 20, 2019 11/20/2019|
|Extra-Contractual Committee - Conference Call Agenda June 5, 2019 6/5/2019|
** Click on a description to download the article or resource