Level 1 Learning Objectives
- Level 1 is being taught virtually.
- Understanding workers compensation laws, how the laws have evolved over time and why they exist.
- Understanding the relevance of time and place with regard to an accident occurring in the course of employment, the necessity of the accident being related to the performance of job activities and what deviations from job activities can affect whether or not an accident is covered under workers compensation.
- Understanding the distinctions between an “injury” and an “illness.”
- Understand why and how to make the right decisions in the claim handling process including identifying who the stakeholders are in a workers compensation claim, how to get to know and understand them and how to take the appropriate action.
- Understanding the importance of forecasting and the primary components to consider in establishing an appropriate and accurate reserve.
- Recognizing the role of medical care in a claim how to improve the medical and cost outcomes of each case.
- Identifying the way to best resolve a claim and the steps necessary to successfully and expeditiously bring a workers compensation claim to resolution.
- Understanding the "exclusive remedy"? doctrine and the difference between relying upon exclusive remedy for the injured worker and eligible subrogation.